Monday 30 April 2012

Q & A - The Knowledge of Beauty

The Knowledge of Beauty has its second and last performance tonight (Sunday - 20th July at Nice & Bijou). 'Looks mean everything, looks mean power'. Well we know what they mean. Dear old Robin Cook was never going to be PM was he? But then that slimeball Cameron might be. We're advised in general terms to keep party politics out of this but honestly! (We should add that Paul Richards of Get a Real Job Promotions - who kindly answered these questions gave no indication of his political preferences and may wish to be disassociated with the editorial content here).

You haven’t played Buxton before why have you decided to come for 2008?
We decided to do as many Fringe Festivals as possible this year , but then ran out of money after booking four (Brighton/Cambridge/Buxton/Edinburgh). Another reason would be that I accidentally found myself on the Buxton Fringe mailing list and eventually gave in to temptation.

Amongst Buxton’s famous sons and (adopted daughter) are Tim Brooke-Taylor, Dave Lee Travis and Vera Brittain. How do you feel about following in the footsteps of such giants?
Excited, although as merely the writer it's down to my cast to feel daunted by the expectation placed upon them, whilst I just drink at the bar and laugh loudly at the jokes hoping others will join in.

What reaction do you expect from your audiences?
Hopefully laughter, with the occasional 'ooohhh' thrown in for good measure.

5 pieces of fruit and veg a day – what do you choose to eat?
My dietary habits are shocking and I confess to barely making even three a day, although I'd like to think I'm young enough to turn this terrible behaviour around. I do eat a lot of pears though, and tomatoes/lettuce in my regular breakfast BLT.

Do you have any superstitions or routines that you follow before starting a performance?
Again as a writer it's kind of out of my hands, generally though I like to pace around a lot.

Buxton Mineral Water – how do you drink it?
In a state of drunkenness, realising I need water in me to avoid the rather predictable hangover the next morning.

Are there any other performers/artists that you especially admire? If so, who and why?
There's too many to mention here, although from a writing perspective Tim Firth is a remarkably good playwright, as was Joe Orton. In comedy in general Paul Merton warrants the title 'legend' and I'm fast becoming a huge admirer of stand-up comedian Daniel Kitson.

What question would you have liked to answer here?
How many tickets would you like to sell for your Buxton Fringe dates?

What is your answer?
All of them, please.

by Keith Savage - Published 20/07/2008

No comments:

Post a Comment