Monday 30 April 2012

Q & A - Alison Goldie




It rather looks as though Alison Goldie could break a few hearts while she's in Buxton with her new play Lady in Bed(Pauper's Pit - 23-26 July). We don't have a parental advisory sticker on this Blog - but there is no evidence that any parents read it anyway. However the Blog censors take objection to Alison's description of her play as a "one woman exotic odyssey" - except that the word she uses isn't exotic. The modern world. Either way if that doesn't sell a few tickets then I don't know what will.

You haven’t played Buxton before why have you decided to come for 2008?
Because I have a new one-woman show, Lady In Bed, to promote. I am really proud of the show and want as many people to see it as possible. My premiere (at The Pulse Festival in Ipswich) was only a month ago, and I wanted to get a little run of the show as soon as possible after that. Buxton Fringe gives me that opportunity.

Amongst Buxton’s famous sons and (adopted daughter) are Tim Brooke-Taylor, Dave Lee Travis and Vera Brittain. How do you feel about following in the footsteps of such giants?
I am delighted to be following Vera, a stout (not literally), stoical lady who might have been interested in a woman like me following in her feisty footsteps and making the most of my freedoms in the modern age. On the other hand, she might have thought me dreadfully common and unladylike, not to mention a brazen hussy. Who’s to tell?

What reaction do you expect from your audiences?
From the 3 performances I’ve done so far, I expect audiences to find the show funny, moving and fascinating. I expect the piece to trigger memories of their own love-lives and help them to revisit these with a new perspective. I’ve had a great response so far and I’m up for hearing as much feedback as possible from Buxton audiences. I like to know what’s working for them…Mainly, I’d like to receive spontaneous gifts of flowers and chocolates and proposals of marriage from millionaires.

5 pieces of fruit and veg a day – what do you choose to eat?
Avocadoes, pulped, sliced, whipped, halved and grated.

Do you have any superstitions or routines that you follow before starting a performance?
I do a bit of yoga, drink a pint of water, and say affirming things like ‘I can do it’, ‘Go girl’ and ‘I walk on water’ until I am strong enough to get onstage and the Power of Theatre* takes over.
* patented by ancient shaman in Bolivian rainforests 

Buxton Mineral Water – how do you drink it?
Naked.

Are there any other performers/artists that you especially admire? If so, who and why?
Alexi Sayle is the only performer who has made me literally fall off my chair laughing.
I also love Bill Hicks, Rose English, Jonathan Kay, Josephine Baker, Dame Edna, Improbable Theatre Co, Hoi Polloi, Robert Wilson, Spalding Gray, Woody Allen and Ken Campbell. 

What question would you have liked to answer here?
To what address shall we send the complimentary Vivien Westwood collection? 

What is your answer?
You think I’m giving any old person my address?

by Keith Savage - Published 21/07/2008

No comments:

Post a Comment