Monday 30 April 2012

A Commercial Break (with history)

The celebrated comedian Peter Kay began his last national tour at Buxton's Opera House. It was a sell-out of course - around 950 in the audience. Kay is the only thing from Bolton that is sure to sell out. Their wretched football team... no I'll keep my thoughts to myself; don't want to cause any controversy. Kay managed to have a No.1 hit without singing or playing a note; he also gave us "t'Internet" - and where we would be without it?

Without it we'd be spared this, and all other blogs, for a start. I read the other day that there are over 70 million blogs now - a new one is born every second apparently. One critic suggested that all that has happened is the spawning of millions of narcissistic, barely literate and singularly uninteresting web pages. As I've said I'm keen to avoid controversy here but I regard such comments as self-evident truths and I merely report them.

Anyway, "t'Internet" and the Buxton Festival Fringe... This year's Fringe begins on Friday, 6 July and runs until Sunday, 22 July. The Buxton Opera Festival began in 1979 - and most of its events take place in the aforementioned Opera House which opened in 1903. The Fringe started in 1980 and the first committee was chaired by local artist and singer Alan Bailey. Alan still takes an active part in the Fringe - exhibiting his paintings. You can see what's going on in this year's Festival Fringe by going to:www.buxtonfringe.org.uk

by Keith Savage - Published 09/04/2007

No comments:

Post a Comment